Foreigners have several options for owning property in Moalboal, Cebu, Philippines. The country's laws and regulations regarding foreign ownership of land have specific limitations, but there are legal avenues through which foreigners can still enjoy property ownership in this enchanting destination. If you would like us to assist you in owning property in Moalboal, check out our contact information at the bottom of the page. Here are the different ways foreigners can own property in Moalboal:

Condominium Ownership:

Foreigners can easily acquire condominium units in the Philippines, including Moalboal. Under the Condominium Act of the Philippines, foreigners are allowed to own up to 40% of the total units in a condominium project. This option is ideal for those looking for a more hassle-free way to own property, as the developer takes care of the property management and maintenance. Unfortunately, there are not many condominiums available in Moalboal. 

Long-Term Lease:

Foreigners can also enter into a long-term lease agreement with a Filipino landowner. The lease can be for a maximum of 50 years, renewable for an additional 25 years. This arrangement allows foreigners to have exclusive use of the property for an extended period, effectively granting them long-term ownership without the complexities of full ownership.

Investing in a Corporation:

Foreigners can set up a corporation in the Philippines and, through the corporation, acquire land. However, the majority of the corporation’s shares must be held by Filipino citizens, with only a minority share owned by the foreign investor. This option is often used for larger-scale investments or commercial properties.

Marriage to a Filipino Citizen:

If a foreigner is married to a Filipino citizen, they are eligible to acquire land in the Philippines. The property will be registered under the Filipino spouse’s name, but the foreign spouse will have the right to use and enjoy the property as a beneficial owner.

Special Investor's Resident Visa (SIRV):

Foreigners who invest a significant amount in the Philippines may be eligible to apply for the Special Investor’s Resident Visa (SIRV). This visa allows the investor, along with their dependents, to reside in the Philippines indefinitely, provided they meet certain investment criteria. This option enables the investor to purchase and own land in their name.

Important Considerations:

  • It’s essential to consult with a reputable lawyer or real estate professional familiar with Philippine laws and regulations to ensure a smooth and legally compliant property acquisition process.
  • Before making any property investment, foreign buyers should conduct due diligence, including verifying the property’s title, tax declarations, and other legal documents.
  • Be aware of any restrictions or limitations imposed by the Philippine government on foreign land ownership. Rules and regulations may change, so it’s crucial to stay updated on any changes in laws pertaining to foreign ownership of real estate.

Owning property in Moalboal can be a fulfilling experience, providing an opportunity to embrace the beauty of this captivating destination and create cherished memories for years to come.

Website Creator:

My name is Jeff Faught. I am an American who married a wonderful and beautiful Filipina from the Moaboal area. I built this website to provide information to those looking to visit this amazing location. If you have questions about visiting or living in Moalboal, feel free to contact me at